Winter is upon us here in South Africa, which means that it is soup season! Nothing beats the winter chill like a steaming bowl of soup.This Thai-style chicken and corn Soup is deliciously hearty, yet simple to cook up.
What you Need:
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fine/crushed garlic
- 2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2-3 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 tin LITE coconut milk
- 200g chicken fillet, cubed
- Salt & crushed peppercorns to taste
- 1 pkt Cream of Chicken soup
- 1 pkt Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 tin cream style sweetcorn
Braise onion, garlic and chillies in olive oil until onions have browned slightly. Add lemongrass and braise for a minute or 2 to release the flavor.
Add cubed chicken fillet, salt and peppercorns and season to taste. Braise until chicken is done.
Add coconut milk and ensure chicken is completely covered; let cook for a few minutes.
Mix Cream of Chicken soup and Cream of Mushroom soup with cold water and add to chicken. Finally, mix in the sweetcorn and add water according to desired thickness. Let it cook a while on medium heat.
If Thai food is not your thing, simply substitute the lemongrass and coconut milk for green peppers and low fat milk for a more peppery flavour.