Everyone spends his life-span but a pertinent question is: who fulfills the right of living?
Animals bereft of wisdom and intelligence also pass their lives. However, a human being endowed with wisdom and intelligence spends a much more excellent and superior type of life. Similarly, a disbeliever also passes the days of his life wandering in the darkness of misguidance and deviation. However, his life is quite different from that of a Muslim who lives a secure, smooth life in accordance with the guidelines of divine revelation. The day and night of a disbeliever is spent in spiritual darkness whereas a Muslim spends his day and night in spiritual light. Hence, a pertinent question arises: how should every Muslim spend his day and night so that his life could easily be distinguished from that of a disbeliever?
Every Muslim should spend his day and night as follows:
1. Acquire knowledge of the Din according to your needs. You could acquire this knowledge either by reading a book or by asking the ‘ulama.
2. Abstain from all sins.
3. If you commit any sin, repent immediately.
4. Do not hold back in fulfilling anyone’s right. Do not cause anyone physical or verbal harm. Do not speak ill of anyone.
5. Do not have any love for wealth nor any desire for name or fame. Do not concern yourself with extravagant food and clothing.
6. If someone rebukes you for your mistake or error, do not try to justify your action. Admit your fault and repent.
7. Do not embark on a journey without any dire necessity. This is because many unconscious and unintended acts are committed while on a journey. Many good deeds are missed out, there is a shortcoming in the different forms of dhikr (remembrance of Allah), and you are unable to accomplish your tasks on time.
8. Do not laugh excessively nor talk excessively. You should take special precaution in not talking with ghayr mahrams (those with whom the observances of purdah is incumbent) in an informal way.
9. Do not go about repeating or mentioning an argument that may have taken place between two persons.
10. Always be mindful of the rules of the Shari’ah in everything you do.
(To Be Continued…)