I heard that Mahir Zain recently started making nazams without music but in the sub titles of the Nasheeds on you tube it says ‘vocals only.’Is it permissible to listen to such Nasheeds?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
It has come to our knowledge that most of the Nasheeds of Maher Zain contain music; therefore it will be impermissible to listen to the Nasheeds of Maher Zain even though it may contain vocals only.
Hereunder are our general observations regarding many present day Nasheeds and Nazams:
The purpose of Nazams and Nasheeds are as follows:
1. To flame the love of Allah (Ta’ala) within the hearts of the listeners.
2. To encourage people to follow the Sunnah of Rasullullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam).
3. To embellish the hearts of the listeners with the good qualities of Taqwa, Sabr, good character, e.t.c.
4. To enjoin good and forbid evil.
5. To create an aversion for sin within the hearts of the people.
However, we find that most of the present day Nasheeds and Nasheed artists have the following:
2. Emulation of music and musical instruments.
3. The outward appearance of most of the present day Nasheed artists is inconsistent with the message that they are conveying. Many do not practice on the Shariah and the Sunnah of Rasullullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam).
4. Pure entertainment and frivolity.
5. Emulating the ways and practices of the Kuffar (Tashabbuh).
Such Nasheeds can never direct one to the true spirit of Deen and Shariah. The emotions experienced through such Nasheeds are at most one’s imagination or at most one’s conjecture of closeness to Deen, whereas they are far from the true spirit and purpose of Deen and Shariah.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.